North South Immigration Inc.

Specialized in Canada immigration and assisting to get suitable job in Canada.

Home About Canada Assessment FAQs Our Services Contact Us
Canada Map Types Of Visa Advantage Of Canada

Frequently Ask Questions

Qs: What is a Canadian Permanent Residence visa?
As: A Permanent Residence in Canada visa grants permission to live and work lawfully anywhere in Canada. It also allows for access to many of Canada's social programs such as: healthcare, subsidized education, Child tax benefits etc.
Qs: Can my dependents be included in my application for Permanent Residence in Canada?
As: Yes, your spouse and your children 22 years of age and under may be included in your application for Permanent Residence in Canada. Your children over the age of 22 years may still be considered your dependents provided that they are full time students and financially dependent upon you.
Qs: Do I become a permanent resident when my landing documents are issued?
As: No. You will only become a permanent resident when you cross a Canadian port-of-entry with your valid passport and your valid Canadian Immigrant Visa.
Qs: Do I need a job offer from a prospective Canadian employer?
As: No, But your effort to find job in Canada prior to your arrival will be favorably viewed by a visa officer.
Qs: How long can I wait to come to Canada once my visa is issued?
As: You must arrive in Canada before the expiry date which appears on your Immigrant Visa. Usually, it is one year from the time medical examinations are completed. As this is not always the case, be sure to verify the expiry date as soon as you receive your Immigrant Visa.
Qs:  Can the expiry date on the immigrant visa be extended?
As: As a general rule, the expiry date on your Canadian Immigrant Visa will not be extended. Failure to land in Canada before the expiry result in the necessity of re-application.
Qs: What should I arrive with when I land in Canada?
As: You must have your valid passport and your valid Canadian Immigrant Visa. It will be helpful to have an inventory of all belongings that you intend to bring in after landing. It's also a good idea to have evidence of your settlement funds.
Qs: Is there any advantage of  having a relatives in Canada?
As: Yes, having relatives in Canada can improve your potential for meeting the minimum criteria for immigration. Only close family relatives are accepted. Your relative can be your or your spouse's brother, sister, mother, father, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.
Qs: What is the immigration process fees apart from your consultation fees?
As: The processing fee is amount of CAD$550.00 for the principal applicant and each dependent aged 22 and above, and CAD$150.00 for dependents under the age of 22.( this amount is not refundable). There is also a Right of Landing fee in the amount of CAD$975.00 which applies to you and each dependent 22 years of age and above. (This fee is refundable).
Qs: Will my dependents and I be required to undergo a medical examination?
As: Yes, you and any dependent will be required to undergo a medical examination by a physician designated by the Canadian Government.
Qs: Can I use my own doctor to do the medical examination?
As: No. The examination must be done by an approved doctor on Canada’s list of Designated Medical Physicians.
Qs: Will my personal information remain confidential?
As: Absolutely. We will not release any information about your application to third parties (other than the visa office), without your written consent.
Qs: Can I apply for Permanent Residence in Canada if I do not yet have the minimum required experience?
As: It is preferable that you have a minimum of one year of full time work experience in your occupation, before submitting your application to the Canadian Embassy. This is so that your application is not rejected on "paper-screening" by the Embassy.
Qs: May I immigrate to Canada alone and then have my dependents follow me later date?
As: Yes, you may establish yourself in Canada before your dependents join you. Your dependents must, arrive in Canada before the expiration date indicated on your visa.
Qs: What is a Canadian Immigrant Visa?
As: Canada gives Landed Immigrant Visas to people under Independent Class, Business Class and Family Class. An Immigrant Visa entitles a person to most rights and privileges of a Canadian Citizen. After three years in Canada as a landed immigrant one can become a Canadian citizen.
Qs: May I have any benefit to have a relative in Canada?
As: Yes, A close relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident allows you awarding of five points.
Qs: Must I fulfill any requirement to maintain my permanent resident status in Canada?
As: Yes, you must reside in Canada for a minimum of two years out of every five year period to maintain your permanent residence in Canada status.
Qs: Am I required to have a certain amount of assets?
As: The Government of Canada does not provide financial support to new skilled worker immigrants. You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to support your family. You will need to provide proof of your funds when you submit your application for immigration. The amount of money required to support your family is determined by the size of your family. While these are the lowest possible sums of money required to qualify we suggest you should have much more than the required minimum mentioned here.
Number of
Funds Required
(in Canadian dollars)
1 $9,420
2 $11,775
3 $14,645
4 $17,727
5 $19,816
6 $21,905
7 or more $23,994
Qs: How much money should I carry to Canada when I land?
As: Bring as much money as possible to make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. You will not be taxed if you bring your money when you come in right away. Talk to a good Tax Consultant who will guide you accordingly. Disclosure of funds: If you are carrying more than CDN. $10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
  • cash;
  • securities in bearer form (for example: stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills); or
  • negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example: bankers' drafts, cheques, travelers' cheques, money orders.)
Qs: How long does the immigration process take?
As: The average processing time of all world-wide visa offices is approximately 12-18 months or more for applications where a selection interview is required.  Since each case is unique and based on the circumstances of the case, and the office at which the application is submitted, processing time may be as short as 7 months or as long as 40 months or more.
Qs: What is a lock in date?

A lock-in date is the date on which a visa office receives a completed application form, with full payment of the processing fees. The Canadian Courts have deemed the lock-in date to be the date on which factors such as age must be assessed.  Thus, no points will be lost if the applicant's age changes during the processing of the application.

Qs: What is the job market in Canada?
As: Depending on your occupation you may be able to secure employment opportunities in Canada. But particularly it true in sectors such as Information technology, Applied technology, Pharmacy, Finance and Engineering.
Qs: May I and my dependents required to undergo a medical examination?
As: Yes, you and any dependents will be required to undergo a medical examination by a physician designated by the Canadian Government.
Qs: How often do Canadian Immigration Laws change?
As: There is no specified time period. The new Immigration and Refugee Protection Act became law on June 28th 2002. This new act gives discretion to the Immigration Minister to make changes as and when required. There was also a recent change on September 18, 2003 by the Minister of CIA, where he reduced the Pass mark for Skill Class from 75 to 67.
Qs:  Is there any Filing fee to be submitted with my application for Permanent Residence in Canada?
As: Yes, there is a Filing fee, amount of CAD$550 for the principal applicant and each dependent over the age of 19 and CAD$150 for dependents under the age of 19. This fee is not refundable if your application is not accepted. There is also a Right of Landing fee in the amount of CAD$975 which applies to you and each dependent 19 years of age and over. This fee is refundable if you are not able to land in Canada.
Qs: What is permanent residence?
As: When people apply for immigration to Canada, they are in fact applying for a permanent residence visa. Permanent residence is a status that allows an immigrant to stay legally and earn there living anywhere in Canada. All individuals who are not eligible to apply directly for citizenship must first apply for permanent residence.  After meeting minimum residency requirements (i.e. 3 years), individuals can then apply for citizenship, which entitles them to a Canadian passport. Although not able to vote in elections, permanent residents enjoy many of the same privileges as Canadian citizens, including the right to education, health and social services, and protection under Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Qs: What are the different categories of immigrants?
As: There are three basic categories of immigration Family class, Independent/Skilled Worker class, and the Business / Investor Category. 
Family class Category: immigrants sponsored by close family members already living in Canada.
Independent Category
: immigrants who qualify for certain types of jobs or have other important assets to bring to Canada. They apply on their own or have more distant relatives living in Canada.
Business Category
Canada welcomes business immigrants who have the ability and resources to invest in or establish businesses in Canada. Business immigrants, include investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed immigrants.
Investor Category:
   Investors must invest a minimum amount in approved projects in Canada.  All investors must provide a minimum investment of $400,000 and have a minimum net worth of $800,000. Provinces and territories secure the investment against loss. You may finance your investment in the Immigrant Investor Program without having to deposit the whole amount of 400,000C$ but just 120,000C$ and borrow the rest from Bank or Financial Institution.
Qs: Who can I include in my application for an Immigrant Visa?
As: Your spouse and any dependent children may be included in the application. Children must be under the age of 19 years.  If they are 19 and older, they must not have had an interruption of more than 12 months in their schooling.  Your accompanying dependents will be subject to medical and security clearance requirements. Other family members, such as your parents, generally cannot be included in the application but you may be able to sponsor them as part of the family class after you land in Canada. Common-law spouses and same-sex partners are not considered spouses for immigration purposes.  They will be assessed independently.  Where the common-law spouse or same-sex partner does not qualify as an independent immigrant, an Immigrant Visa may still be issued on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
Qs: Who must attend an interview?
As: Interviews is for the principal applicant and his / her adult dependants. Interview can be occasionally waived. If the applicant either shows that they have sufficient pass marks. The interview is used to verify the information provided in the application, to assess the applicant's command of  English / French languages, and to determine the personal suitability of applicants to  settle successfully in Canada.
Qs: Do I have to submit a police clearance?
As: Yes. You must submit a police clearance for you and your dependants from every country where you have resided for more than six months in the last ten years.
Qs:  What are removal orders?

Immigration inquiries may result in one of the following: a departure order (which has no further effect if the person leaves Canada within the required time); an exclusion order (which bars the person from returning within one year unless ministerial consent is obtained); a deportation order (which permanently bars the person from returning to Canada unless ministerial consent is obtained); or a decision to allow the person to come to or remain in Canada.
Persons who receive a departure order and who do not obtain a certificate of departure and do not leave Canada within the prescribed period will be deemed to have been ordered deported. In all cases involving removal orders, the persons and their counsel are informed of the reasons for, and given a copy of, the orders.
Family members in Canada dependent on the person receiving a removal order may be included in the order. However, before being included, dependants have the right to be heard at the immigration inquiry. Family members who are Canadian citizens and family members who are permanent residents aged 19 or over cannot be included in a removal order.

Qs: What are the five criteria on which the medical officer would base his assessment of admissibility?

The medical officer has five criteria on which to base his assessment of admissibility.
This medical profile consists of a coded series of letters and numbers based on the two principal criteria and the three supporting criteria mentioned below. The five criteria are:

H - Risk to Public Safety or Public Health
D - Expected Demand on Health or Social Services
T - Response to Medical Treatment
S - Surveillance
E - Potential Employability or Productivity

Under each criterion is a list of descriptive categories. Taken as a whole, the ratings assigned under each criterion form the basis for a legally binding medical opinion regarding admissibility. This opinion is expressed by the symbol "M" at the end of the profile and represents the combined significance of the five criteria. It is indicated symbolically as

M - Statement of Medical Status

M1 - No health impairment sufficient to prevent admission

M2 - Has a condition for which the degree of risk to public health or safety is not sufficient to exclude admission, but which risk should be considered in relation to other personal and social criteria.

M3 - Has a condition for which the potential demand on health or social services is not sufficient to exclude admission, but which risk should be considered in relation to other personal and social criteria.

M4 - Has a condition which is likely to endanger public health or safety to such an extent that the applicant is at present inadmissible, but for which the expected response to treatment is such that future admission could be considered.

M5 - Has a condition which is likely to cause demand on health or social services to such an extent that the applicant is not at present admissible, but for which the expected response to treatment is such that future admission could be considered.

M6 - Has a condition which is a danger to public health or safety and which is not likely to respond to treatment in such a way as to allow admission in the foreseeable future.

M7 - Has a condition which could cause excessive demand on health or social services, and which is not likely to respond to treatment. Please note that medical assessment is done on a case by case basis, taking all aspects of an applicant's condition into account. The references below should be taken only as general guidelines, not as absolutely applicable in all cases.

The Visa Office will tell you in writing if there is a problem with your medical examination.

I have often heard of the word "Ministers Permit" but do not understand what is meant by it?
The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration may grant an inadmissible person the privilege of coming to or remaining in Canada by issuing a Minister's Permit. This permit may be cancelled at any time. If a person's permit is cancelled, he or she may be required to leave or be directed to attend an immigration inquiry.  
Qs:  How are Elementary and Secondary School Education for Newcomers or immigrants?

Public Education for children: Public education is run by the provincial governments and is paid for through taxes. Public education is free and available to every child in Canada. By law, children must attend school until the age of 15 or 16.In some provinces there are separate public school boards reflecting different religious and languages preferences.

Generally, the language of instruction is either English or French. If a student has difficulty with the language, he or she is usually given extra language training. Boys and girls share classrooms and are taught together in almost all public schools. Teachers in all provinces must be qualified and licensed. All academic teachers have at least one university degree and special training in education. Most children in Canada attend public schools. About five per cent of students go to private schools, which charge school fees.

Elementary and secondary school: In most provinces children start out in elementary school, which is usually kindergarten to grade 6 or 8. This is followed by secondary school also called high school. In some provinces this may be divided into junior high (grades 7 to 9) and senior high (grades 10-12). Students must complete certain academic courses in high school in order to be admitted to university. 
How to enroll your children in school: Parents must register children at the local school or school board office. School boards are listed in the blue pages of the telephone book. When you register your child, you must take with you:

  • Permanent Resident Card, Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
  • Birth certificate
  • Vaccination certificate
  • Previous school records

Your children’s language and mathematical skills might be tested. Then your child will be placed in the program the school thinks is best for them. If you think that your children may have been incorrectly placed, talk to their teacher, or school principal.


William Webster

E-Mail:- //

Copyright © 2002 NSI Inc. All Rights Reserved.  Site updated 2008